Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector Install in Land O’ Lakes, FL
Professional Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Detector Installs
Unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning kills thousands of Americans yearly. The tasteless, colorless, odorless gas is deadly without proper detection by a carbon monoxide detector. Smoke detectors are required by law in homes to help save lives through early smoke detection. Mr. Electric of Land O' Lakes installs carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in Land O’ Lakes, FL. Contact us today to get a free estimate on carbon monoxide and smoke detector installation for your home.
Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A carbon monoxide leak can be fatal within minutes. Carbon monoxide detectors alert you at the first sign of elevated carbon monoxide levels. If you experience any signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, exit your home immediately. The symptoms often feel like the flu without any fever. Common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include the following:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular breathing
Can I Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide sources often include gas clothing dryers, furnaces, gas fireplaces, grills, car exhaust, gas ranges, and water heaters. It’s essential to ensure these appliances are operated in open areas. The best ways to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home include the following:
- Ensure your fireplace flue is open when using it.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home and outside each bedroom.
- Check twice that your vehicle is turned off inside the garage.
- Change the carbon monoxide detector batteries every six months.
- Only purchase gas appliances or equipment labeled with the American Gas Association or Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) seal of approval.
- Avoid heating your home with a gas oven.
- Take advantage of our yearly safety inspections.
- Do not use flameless chemical heaters indoors.
- Keep all gas appliances in optimal working conditions.
- Make sure you know the different sounds between your CO detector and your smoke detector.
Where Do You Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors?
Unlike smoke, carbon monoxide does not rise but evenly disperses. Mr. Electric of Land O' Lakes installs carbon monoxide detectors between knee and chest height. Combination smoke-and-carbon-monoxide detectors can be installed at ceiling height to detect signs of smoke. The most important thing to remember is to avoid placing carbon monoxide detectors behind curtains or doors.
Licensed Smoke Detector Installation
Smoke detectors save your life in the event of a fire. You must have a smoke detector outside every bedroom in your home. We also recommend placing them in your hallways, stairways, and garage. New laws require smoke detectors that are hard-wired into your electrical wiring with a battery backup. Since the electrical components of your smoke detector break down over time, you should replace them every ten years. Batteries should be replaced yearly. Smoke detector types include the following:
Ionization – Ionization detectors work with a continuous current that runs between two electrodes. When smoke is detected, the current is interrupted. The only downside to this detector is that it thinks smoke and steam are the same things, leading to false alarms. They do respond extremely quickly to flaming fires.
Photoelectric – Photoelectric detectors respond to a reduction in light that reaches an internal photocell. The light is scattered and sounds the alarm when smoke enters the unit. These detectors respond very quickly to a smoldering fire. They do not alert you when the batteries are dead.
Smoke Detectors Tips
Smoke detectors should be in perfect working condition and dispersed throughout your home. Some of the most significant smoke detector tips include:
- Check your smoke detectors every six to 12 months.
- Ensure your battery powered back-up system is working in the smoke detectors.
- Never place smoke detectors near a draft or window.
- Your smoke detectors should be centered on the ceiling.
- Never pull the unit from the wall.
- Keep one fire extinguisher or more in your home.
- Always have an emergency exit plan.
Contact Mr. Electric of Land O' Lakes
Mr. Electric of Land O' Lakes provides carbon monoxide and smoke detector services in Port Richey, Land O’ Lakes, and Zephyrhills, FL. Our electrical experts can help you find the safest places in your home for smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors. We offer upfront pricing on all our services. Contact us today to get a free estimate on smoke and carbon monoxide detector installation.