Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector Install in Oklahoma City, OK
Protect Your Family from Preventable Disasters
Protecting your family and home from preventable disasters is one of the most important aspects of homeownership. The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that 2,100 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning each year. Carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless, and colorless, making it an undetectable killer without a carbon monoxide detector. Additionally, the law requires homeowners to install smoke detectors in their homes.
You can protect your family from residential disasters by having Mr. Electric of Oklahoma City perform a carbon monoxide and smoke detector install in Oklahoma City, OK and the surrounding areas, including Edmond and Yukon. Reach out to our team today to learn more about how you can keep your family safe!
Prevent Poisoning with Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Does your home currently have protection from carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide can be lethal to anyone in a home within minutes, depending on the level of CO in the air. It’s crucial to ensure you have a working CO detector installed to alert you and your loved ones when you’re at risk of poisoning. For example, if an appliance malfunctions and causes a CO leak, you’ll never wake up to notice the gas dispersing. Carbon monoxide detectors work by detecting elevated carbon monoxide levels in the air. People who have CO poisoning can experience a variety of symptoms that feel similar to the flu, including:
- Fatigue or weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular breathing
- Chest pain
What Are the Sources of Carbon Monoxide?
Various household appliances, including furnaces, gas dryers, gas fireplaces, gas stoves, and water heaters, can emit carbon monoxide. Other sources of carbon monoxide include exhaust from cars, gas or charcoal grills, and fuel-burning space heaters. CO can build up in your home if you have a closed woodstove flue or clogged chimney. The licensed electricians at Mr. Electric of Oklahoma City are committed to the safety of our customers. We recommend the following ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning at home:
- Install CO detectors in your home (Minimum of one detector per level and outside each bedroom).
- Change your CO detector batteries every six to 12 months.
- Never run a vehicle, generator, or device with a fuel-fed motor inside your garage or home.
- Always turn off your vehicle when parked in your garage.
- Look for the American Gas Association or Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) seal of approval when purchasing gas appliances or equipment.
- Have a licensed appliance professional inspect your gas appliances annually.
- Never use flameless chemical heaters in enclosed spaces or indoors.
- If you have a malfunctioning gas appliance, have a service expert repair it.
- Always open your flue when burning a fire in your furnace or fireplace.
- Do not heat your home with a gas oven.
- Always operate grills in a well-ventilated outdoor area.
- When camping, use battery-operated heaters.
- Adjust all gas appliances properly, using an exhaust fan when appropriate.
- Understand which sound is your smoke detector and which is your CO detector.
- Contact your local fire department if you can’t afford a CO detector. Programs are in place to help low-income households and the elderly acquire these devices.
Where Do I Place Carbon Monoxide Detectors?
Unlike smoke that rises in the air, carbon monoxide diffuses around your home evenly. We recommend installing carbon monoxide detectors at knee and chest height whenever possible because that's about the level your face is at when you sleep.
If you have small children or pets in the home, we recommend placing CO detectors at chest height to avoid being tampered with. If you have combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, you should install them at ceiling height to detect the earliest smoke signs from a fire. It’s important to place CO and smoke detectors in an open area to increase their functionality. Avoid placing them behind doors or curtains.
Smoke Detector Installation Service for a Safe Home
The experts at Mr. Electric of Oklahoma City can help you meet state and local laws by professionally installing smoke detectors in your home. Current laws require residents to place smoke detectors near every bedroom in a house. They must also be present in halls, stairways, and garages. According to new construction laws, smoke detectors must be hooked up to your home’s electrical system for increased reliability. They must also have a battery backup system and interconnect with each other.
The National Fire Protection Association advises residents to replace old smoke detectors every ten years. As these systems age, their electrical components become unreliable. With several options to choose from, we can help you select the best smoke detector for your home:
- Ionization – This type of smoke detector has a continuous current running between electrodes. When smoke travels into the unit, it interrupts the current and sounds an alarm.
- Photoelectric – In this type of smoke detector, a unit responds to light reduction by reaching an internal photocell. Smoke going into the detector scatters light and causes the alarm to sound.
Keep Your Home Safe With Mr. Electric of Oklahoma City
Ensuring your family's safety is one of the most important parts of being a homeowner. With years of experience serving homeowners throughout Oklahoma City, OK and the surrounding areas, including Edmond and Yukon, Mr. Electric of Oklahoma City can help you with a wide range of residential safety solutions and electrical services. The highly experienced electricians at Mr. Electric are dedicated to the safety and satisfaction of our customers on every job we complete.
We offer reliable, cost-effective, and long-lasting services throughout the region to commercial and residential customers. Whether you need a smoke detector or CO detector installation, we're here to help. Contact us today to request a quote and schedule a carbon monoxide and smoke detector installation at your home!