Commercial Electrical Panel Upgrades in Lafayette, LA
Keeping the Power on at Your Business
As a business owner or high-level manager, you have plenty on your plate. It can be easy to forget about keeping the lights on when you rarely have to worry about electrical issues. But as your electrical system ages, more and more problems will start popping up. The truth is that older electrical panels are no match for the technology and machinery modern businesses use. Even if you're in an updated building, you may still be using outdated electrical work. Fortunately, Mr. Electric of Lafayette is here to offer the upgrades you need. We provide commercial electrical panel upgrades to customers in Lafayette, Broussard, and Scott, LA. Learn more about why upgrading is so important.
What Is an Electrical Panel?
The electrical panel is the part of your electrical system that directs power to each appliance and piece of equipment. Beginning at the utility company, electricity travels into your business via the electrical panel, which then separates into smaller branches to distribute power throughout the entire building. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) require electrical panels to have a "dead front," which prevents electric shock to the people operating equipment.
Where's the Best Place to Install One?
Electrical panels should always be easily accessible. Be sure to place this gray metal box somewhere anyone could find it but away from other equipment that may block access. If the panel is obstructed, you may face safety violations from OSHA and NFPA. In some cases, it's appropriate to install an electrical panel outdoors.
Why Upgrading Your Panel Is Crucial
Electrical panels should be updated occasionally to keep up with increasing electricity demands. If you stay on an older system, you risk a power outage that could cost you time and money, as well as put your team members at risk of electric shock. Here are the most common ways an aging panel can wreak havoc on your workplace:
- Flickering lights
- Blown fuses or tripped breakers
- Melted wiring
- Needing to turn off one appliance to use another
- Defective circuit breakers
- Risk of electric shock or fire
Heres' When You Need a New Electrical Panel
Commercial electrical panel upgrades are often necessary to keep your building up to code. Luckily, Mr. Electric of Lafayette can complete the work with ease. We'll answer your questions about staying compliant with local regulations and ensure you know how the new wiring works. If any of these apply to you, we encourage you to consider an electrical panel upgrade:
- Crackling sounds coming from the panel
- Visible corrosion or rust on the breakers
- Overheating conductors
- Need for multiple extension cords or additional outlets to power all your equipment
- Electronic devices no longer operate at full power
- Computers do not have a dedicated circuit
- Specialty outlets are required to install new equipment (i.e., printers, copiers, servers, projectors)
- Building renovations
- Need for a 240-volt circuit
- Adding a subpanel
- Outdated technology in the building, such as a fuse block or split bus panel
- Upgrades required by your insurance company
Always Opt for a Licensed Professional
Replacing an electrical panel is a job for a professional. Even the most intrepid DIYers can put themselves in danger if they attempt to upgrade an electrical panel on their own. Instead, look to the team at Mr. Electric of Lafayette for help. Our licensed electricians will ensure that your upgrades are done correctly and that you have all the maintenance resources you need. Working with a professional means:
- You'll have the right size panel to fit your needs
- You'll comply with local and federal codes
- You'll receive all the correct planning permits and approvals
- You have a power supply or meter provided by the power company
- Existing wires will be replaced to meet current codes
- The appropriate materials will be used
- You'll have a thorough knowledge of your system
Schedule Service Today
Could it be time for a commercial electrical panel upgrade? Don't hesitate to get in touch with Mr. Electric of Lafayette. We've worked with numerous businesses in the Lafayette, Broussard, and Scott areas, and we're glad to offer our expertise to you. Contact our team today to request a quote and learn more about our services.