Offering EV Charger Installation Services in Des Moines, IA
A Guide to Home EV Charger Installation
If you have an electric vehicle, you need a quick and efficient way to keep it charged. Installing a special EV charging station in your home can reduce the time it takes to recharge your car’s battery, getting you back on the road quicker. Installing an EV charging station is a job for the pros, though. Many types of charging stations need their own electrical circuit or high-capacity outlet. So, Mr. Electric of Central Iowa helps with EV charger installation services in the Des Moines, Iowa area. Learn more about our home EV charger Installation services.
Understanding the Different Kinds of EV Chargers
If you are new to the world of EV chargers, you might have run into some confusing jargon, like Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 chargers. Before deciding which type of charging station is best for your home, you need a cursory understanding of each type. The three levels of EV chargers include:
- Level 1 Charger – Most electric vehicles will come with their own Level 1 charger. Level 1 chargers plug into a standard three-pronged electrical outlet. So, they do not require any special installation, although you may want to upgrade the circuit breakers in that area of your home. The main disadvantage to a Level 1 charger is the charge speed. These are the slowest type of chargers, taking 20 hours or more to recharge your vehicle’s battery.
- Level 2 Charger – If you want the maximum charge speed for a home EV charger, a Level 2 is the way to go. Level 2 EV chargers can refill your car’s battery in as little as three hours. They do require a dedicated 240-volt circuit which will need to be installed by a licensed electrician.
- Level 3 Charger – Level 3 chargers are the most powerful type of EV charging station. You have probably seen these standalone chargers used in public charging stations. While they can add up to 160 miles of range to a vehicle in just 30 minutes, they are not made for home use. These stations are only installed in commercial or industrial properties.
Which Type of EV Charger Should You Get?
When you work with Mr. Electric of Central Iowa for EV charging station installation services, we will help you determine which kind of EV charger is best suited for you. Level 1 chargers may suit your needs if you don’t drive long distances. If you plan to own an electric vehicle for the foreseeable future, you will eventually want to upgrade to a Level 2 charger. The EV charger installation costs will eventually pay off in the form of reduced charging time and increased convenience.
How EV Charger Installation Works
The licensed electricians at Mr. Electric of Central Iowa have installed countless EV chargers for homeowners in Central Iowa. We always communicate clearly with you throughout the process, explaining things to you every step of the way. When you work with us for electric vehicle charger installation services, you can expect the following:
- We will inspect all equipment before performing the installation.
- We will perform a site inspection to ensure the equipment is installed according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- We will upgrade your electrical system, installing a dedicated 40-amp, 240-volt circuit with 8-AWG wiring to support a Level 2 charger.
- We will ensure that your charging equipment meets the standards of the National Electrical Code, all local permits, and any code requirements.
- We will test your equipment to verify that it is working properly.
- We will show you the equipment’s features, proper usage, maintenance, and warranty terms.
Schedule an EV Charger Installation Appointment Today!
If you are interested in installing a new EV charger in your home, make sure you work with a team of qualified electricians. Mr. Electric of Central Iowa has proudly served Des Moines, Ankeny, Urbandale, and Waukee for many years. Homeowners have come to expect exceptional service, professionalism, and expertise from our team of licensed electricians. Let us help make your EV charger installation project a breeze. Schedule your EV charger installation service appointment now!