Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector Install in Middletown, DE

Mr. Electric of Middletown, DE electrician handing his business card to a customer.

Protect Your Family from Preventable Disasters

The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that 2,100 Americans die each year in this country from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. In fact, carbon monoxide poisoning has become the United States’ number one cause of poisoning deaths. Carbon monoxide is tasteless, odorless, and colorless, making it an undetectable killer without a carbon monoxide detector. However, carbon monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable if you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Additionally, the law requires homeowners to install smoke detectors in their homes. You can successfully protect your family against domestic disasters by having Mr. Electric of Middletown perform a carbon monoxide and smoke detector install in Middletown, DE and other cities in Kent County and New Castle County.

Prevent Poisoning with Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Does your home have protection from carbon monoxide poisoning? If a CO leak happens from a malfunctioning appliance while you’re asleep, you’ll never wake up to notice this poisonous gas without a carbon monoxide detector installation. Additionally, CO can be lethal to your family in minutes, depending on the level of carbon monoxide in your air. Carbon monoxide detectors detect elevated carbon monoxide levels and alert you when you’re at risk of poisoning. You might not know the symptoms of CO poisoning, so we’ve outlined them for your benefit. Symptoms can be similar to having the flu without a fever. Look for the following warning signs:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Sleepiness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue or weakness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Irregular breathing
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion

What Are the Sources of Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide can originate from various household appliances, including water heaters, furnaces, gas clothes dryers, gas ranges or stoves, and wood or gas fireplaces. Other sources producing CO include exhaust from cars, gas or charcoal grills, and fuel-burning space heaters. Operating these appliances and features in poorly ventilated areas or when they have venting malfunctions can cause carbon monoxide to build up rapidly. If you have a close woodstove flue or clogged chimney, CO can back up into your home. Mr. Electric of Middletown prioritizes safety first and recommends the following ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning at home:

  • Install CO detectors in your home (Minimum of one detector per level and outside each bedroom).
  • Change your CO detector batteries every six to 12 months.
  • Never run a vehicle, generator, or device with a fuel-fed motor inside your garage or home.
  • Always turn off your vehicle when parked in your garage.
  • Look for the American Gas Association or Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) seal of approval when purchasing gas appliances or equipment.
  • Have a licensed appliance professional inspect your gas appliances annually.
  • Never use flameless chemical heaters in enclosed spaces or indoors.
  • If you have a malfunctioning gas appliance, have a service expert repair it.
  • Always open your flue when burning a fire in your furnace or fireplace.
  • Do not heat your home with a gas oven.
  • Always operate grills in a well-ventilated outdoor area.
  • When camping, use battery-operated heaters.
  • Adjust all gas appliances properly, using an exhaust fan when appropriate.
  • Understand which sound is your smoke detector and which is your CO detector.
  • Contact your local fire department if you can’t afford a CO detector. Programs are in place to help low-income households and the elderly acquire these devices.

Where Do I Place Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

While smoke rises in the air, carbon monoxide diffuses in your home evenly. You should install standalone carbon monoxide detectors whenever possible at knee and chest height. Mr. Electric of Middletown strongly recommends knee-height CO detector placement because that's about the level your face is when you sleep. We recommend placing CO detectors at chest height if you have children or pets that might tamper with them. However, you should always install combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors at ceiling height to detect the earliest smoke signs from a fire. Hiding CO and smoke detectors behind doors or curtains can reduce their functionality, so you must place them in open areas.

Smoke Detector Installation for a Safe Home

Mr. Electric of Middletown can help you meet state and local laws by installing smoke detectors in your home. These laws require residents to place smoke detectors near every bedroom in a house, and they may also need to be present in halls, stairways, and garages. According to new construction laws, you must have smoke detectors hooked up to your electrical wiring in a new home. These smoke detectors must also have a battery backup system and interconnect with each other. The National Fire Protection Association advises residents to replace old smoke detectors every 10 years. As these systems age, their electrical components become unreliable. We can help you choose which smoke detectors fit your needs, such as the following:

  • Ionization – This detector type has a continuous current running between electrodes. When smoke travels into a unit, it interrupts the current and sounds an alarm.
  • Photoelectric – With this detector type, a unit responds to light reduction reaching an internal photocell. Smoke going into the unit scatters light and causes the alarm to sound.

Mr. Electric Covers Your Home’s Safety

Mr. Electric of Middletown can help you with a wide array of residential electrical needs, from EV chargers and whole house surge protectors to landscape lighting and smoke detectors. Our electricians have extensive training and experience, letting them offer a versatile skill set to ensure your safety, comfort, and satisfaction. Contact us today to request a quote and schedule a carbon monoxide and smoke detector installation at your home.