Has your motion sensor light stopped working, or is it stuck in the on or off position? A motion detector light is sensitive to power surges and blinks and sometimes will not work correctly following an electrical episode. While you may think the fixture is broken, many times, it just requires a reset. Taking a few minutes to troubleshoot the motion sensor light can save you a lot of hassle and money and requires no special tools or skills.
When Should You Reset a Motion Sensor Light?
Your home’s motion sensor light should turn on when a person, vehicle, or other moving object is within sensor range. With time or after a power blink, the lights may become less responsive or quit working altogether.
Here are some scenarios that may call for a motion sensor light reset:
- Even large moving objects like people or vehicles are not triggering the light.
- The light stays on for long periods of time or permanently, rather than turning off once the movement has stopped. A working light will turn off within a few minutes after detecting motion.
- The light seems less sensitive than usual and does not consistently detect motion.
If one of these situations sounds familiar, troubleshooting the motion sensor light may help you solve the problem.
How to Reset a Motion Sensor Light
Is it possible to get your motion sensor light “unstuck” and working optimally once again? Before you shell out the cash for a new light, check out these troubleshooting tips:
- Turn off the fixture's circuit breaker for at least 30 seconds.
- If the fixture has a light switch, turn the switch on for 2 seconds, then off for 2 seconds, and then back on.
- If the fixture has a light switch, quickly switch it on and off four or five times, or until the light stays on.
- Once the light remains on, turn the switch off for five seconds, and then turn it back on.
- If your device has the option to change its sensitivity level, try adjusting it to be less sensitive to motion. After all, you don't need it to turn on every time a chipmunk runs by, but it needs to be sensitive enough to detect someone trespassing on your property.
- Replace the light bulbs in the light fixture to ensure it isn’t a bad bulb issue.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you will know if your motion sensor light only needed a reset, new light bulbs, or if your best plan of action is to update your outdoor lighting.
Let Mr. Electric Help with Home Safety and Security Lighting
Are you ready to upgrade the motion sensors or security lighting on your property? Whether you need lighting repair services or new lighting installation, our electricians can help you find the perfect solutions for all of your exterior lighting needs. To get a quote for a motion sensor lighting installation, call (844) 866-1367 or schedule an appointment online today.
The Grounds Guys compiled some great advice about planning landscape lighting that also enhances security. As part of the Neighborly® family of home service experts, The Grounds Guys has vast experience and wisdom about all things related to landscaping