Electrical Code Updates & Corrections in Grand Prairie, TX
Stay Safe & Compliant With Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie
Keeping your home or business safe by staying up to code takes a professional electrician’s skills and expertise. At Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie, we help Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, and Waxahachie, TX professionals and households stay compliant with electrical code updates and corrections while protecting their electrical systems. Tens of thousands of residential and commercial house fires and accidents happen every year due to electrical hazards. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), 30,000 home fires, almost 1,000 injuries, 200 deaths, and over $600 million in property damage result from electric wiring problems every year. The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) reports that 20 percent of electrocutions are because of faulty wiring. Failing to bring a home or building up to the current electrical code is the frequent cause of all this.
What Are Electrical Code Updates?
Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie’s expert electrical team is well-versed in local and national codes applying to commercial and residential structures and their electrical systems. Electrical code updates are one of our specialties, and we take compliance seriously because the code updates keep our customers safe. The National Electrical Code (NEC) is the singular standard in the United States for safe electrical installation and wiring practices. The NEC is the ultimate rulebook for safe electrical design, installation, and inspection because it sets the nation’s electrical standards and protects people and property against common and avoidable electrical hazards. The NFPA first published the code in 1897, and they update it every three years to reduce accidents and minimize fire hazards caused by using electricity in homes and businesses. The NEC’s most current electrical safety guide is the 2020 edition.
Staying Educated on Electrical Code Updates
Staying informed on electrical code update information for outlets and other components in your home or business is vital to keep your electrical system running safely and reliably. Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie stays up to date on all electrical code aspects and applies them to every job in Grand Prairie, TX and beyond, including updating and correcting issues at our customers’ properties. For instance, you might not be aware the number of residential electrical shock occurrences has decreased thanks to ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) requirements expanding over time. Staying informed on electrical code updates like this example can give you a better understanding of electrical systems to protect your family, staff, and property when you own a home or business.
Our Electricians Help Grand Prairie, TX Customers
The National Electric Code's extensive changes and intricacies make staying compliant with the code a challenging venture every three years. Because of these evolving standards, having a professional electrician perform updates is absolutely necessary. Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie’s expert electrical technicians can evaluate your home to check for outdated wiring and other issues. If we find issues, we can update them to follow newly released electrical code updates as part of our services. Our electrical experts are extensively knowledgeable about all the latest code updates. With this expertise, we can effectively perform all the following beneficial updates:
- We check your home to ensure it’s up to date on the latest requirements for electrical equipment and wiring, installations, and other aspects of your electrical system.
- If you're interested in buying a home, we can inspect it before purchasing it to verify that you're making a sound investment that's safe for your family.
- Our updates and corrections prevent delays when selling your home because of electrical issues an inspector finds during the process.
- Electrical code updates and corrections protect you against liability issues, injuries, and loss of life occurring from electrical incidents around your home.
10 Important Updates From the 2020 Electrical Code
Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie recommends seeking professional help over time to ensure your home’s electrical system is up to date on the most current NEC updates. These new code developments keep your electrical system functioning safely and reliably, and our electrical technicians know all the 2020 code updates. If you want to avoid electrical issues and keep your family safe, you can read through our list of the 10 most important 2020 NEC electrical code updates:
- Exterior emergency power disconnect switches must be installed at all new one- and two-family dwellings. This measure is intended to make safer working conditions for emergency responders.
- Service disconnect rules concerning de-energizing panel boards have been altered to improve electrical worker safety; that includes your local Mr. Electric.
- Load calculation tables have been revised to reflect modern improvements in energy efficiency. The change is largely due to the widespread use of LED lighting, which is drastically more energy-efficient than older bulb types.
- A new general requirement has been instituted to cover cables exposed on ceilings and walls.
- Requirements for GFCI protection have expanded to include all 125- and 250-volt receptacles supplied by a single-phase circuit of 150 volts or less to ground.
- All basement receptacles must also have GFCI protection, regardless of whether the basement is finished.
- A new section has been added governing the use of modern Ethernet cables that transmit data and electrical power simultaneously.
- Requirements for solar-generated energy storage continue to be revised to keep pace with evolving home energy storage technologies, such as the Tesla Powerwall home battery.
- Surge protection requirements have been enhanced to protect sensitive safety equipment, such as hardwired smoke alarms.
- A new item in the code governs how homeowners may transfer power from electric vehicle (EV) batteries to residential wiring.
Trust Us for Electrical Code Updates & Corrections
You should never fall behind on updating your home’s electrical system or neglect to comply with the latest NEC updates. Mr. Electric of Grand Prairie will gladly help you stay up to date and ensure your home’s electrical system runs safely and is compliant. Contact us today to learn more about our electrical code updates and corrections and schedule service at your property.