Are you looking for exciting and effective ways to install landscape lighting to maximize the beauty, safety, and value of your home? We are here to help. Your local Mr. Electric is dedicated to helping you create attractive lighting features that will illuminate your home’s yard or garden area while enhancing functionality and security.
In this article, we’ll explain the benefits of landscape lighting and show you some of our favorite outdoor lighting fixtures to help you enhance the beauty and safety of your home exterior:
- Benefits of Professional Landscape Lighting
- Different Types of Landscape Lighting
- How to Install Landscape Lighting to Enhance Your Outdoor Area
Benefits of Professional Landscape Lighting
With the right lighting design, you can create a yard that brings you joy and makes it possible for you to spend more time outside with family and friends. Plus, it will provide a nice boost to your home’s curb appeal and value and make your outdoor space safer and more secure. The return on investment you can gain with well-designed professional landscape lighting is significant.
Different Types of Landscape Lighting
How can you know what type of landscape lights to install and what they should illuminate in your yard or garden? Prior to installing lights in your landscaping, it’s a good idea to explore some ideas for professional landscape lighting, including where to shine the lights to provide optimal functionality and beauty.
Below are some of the top landscape lighting features to consider for your property:
- Path Lights
Lighting pathways on your property is a great opportunity to install post lights or in-ground lights. Pathway lighting is a dramatic way to enhance your yard’s safety and appearance and enhances the style of your walkways.
Spotlights offer the opportunity to light up and draw attention to the most unique or interesting aspects of your property. You can choose where the spotlight shines; illuminate your house façade, a special tree, or a beautiful area of your garden.
Maximize safety and security in your yard with motion sensor floodlights in dark corners or entry areas of your home.
- Accent Lights
Want to show off your gorgeous deck or patio steps? Accent lights will highlight certain areas with just the right amount of lighting.
How to Install Landscape Lighting to Enhance Your Outdoor Area
Before you consider installing outdoor lighting on your own, it might help to better understand how much work actually goes into the installation process.
There are many different kinds of outdoor sconces, each with their own particular installation needs. To account for that, the following is a more generalized overview of how line voltage landscape lighting is installed, rather than a specific guide on how to install a particular type of outdoor lighting, like low-voltage lighting installation.
Time Required: Several hours
Materials needed: Gloves, shovel, measuring tape, cable, light switch box, screwdriver
- After contacting your local building department to ensure you are permitted to perform this installation, determine where you want to install the light.
- Run underground feeder (UF) cable from the location of the light to your home. This will be buried later on.
- Install a light switch box between two studs on your wall. It should be installed at least five feet above the ground.
- Dig an 18 inch deep or deeper trench to bury the cable.
- Run the cable through the wall, drilling holes as necessary.
- Turn off power to your home using the main circuit breaker.
- Wire the light fixture to the switch based on the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Connect the cable to the circuit breaker.
- Test your lights by turning back on the circuit breaker and turning the lights on and off.
While these steps can make it seem simple, there are several points where things can go wrong if you aren’t well-acquainted with electrical work. As a result, we strongly recommend calling a professional electrician to perform any landscape lighting installation jobs.
Choose Mr. Electric for Professional Landscape Lighting Design and Installation
Do you need help figuring out which types of professional landscape lighting are ideal for your home’s outdoor space? Or, are you are ready to let the professionals handle your lighting design and installation? The local team at Mr. Electric is at your service. Call us today or request an appointment online now to get started.