Going green is all the rage these days, with a green upside not just for the environment, but for your wallet as well. With the benefit and low cost of today’s LED (light-emitting diode) lighting technology - and your family’s lighting demands using approximately 12 percent of your energy budget - upgrading lighting has never been a better investment.
What’s the bright idea?
LED lighting offers a substantial savings over other lighting varieties. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that widespread adoption of LED lighting by 2025 will reduce electricity demands from lighting by 62 percent, eliminating 258 million metric tons of carbon emissions.
How much does LED lighting save compared to other common bulb choices?
- Incandescents: Feeling the burn!
Unlike LEDs, which are 100 percent efficient at turning energy into light, up to 85 percent of the energy of incandescents is converted to heat. Not a friend to your wallet – or your cooling bill in the summer months!
- Compact fluorescents (CFLs): A shining flaw...
LED’s can save up to 50 percent of the energy consumed by CFLs (20-30 percent for standard fluorescent tube lighting), and offer a greener alternative to the mercury harboring bulbs of fluorescents.
Energy efficiency isn’t the only reason LEDs are a great choice:
- LEDs last 2-5 times longer than CFLs and 25 times longer than incandescents.
- Because of their lifespan, LEDs require less in maintenance time and costs (changing bulbs).
- The longevity of LEDs significantly reduces landfill waste.
- LEDs do not contain hazardous mercury.
- High-quality LEDs offer a superior lighting spectrum. (Read: they make you and your stuff look good!)
- Unlike fluorescents, LEDs aren’t effected by temperature or humidity. They are instant-on, and can survive even the coldest conditions.
- Unlike CFLs and fluorescents, LEDs come in an array of bases, fitting everything from a standard incandescent compatible socket to specialty fixtures and night lights.
Where can you substitute LEDs?
- In the living room…
Floor and ceiling lights, table lamps, and spotlights.
- In the kitchen...
A cooler alternative for pot lights (recessed lighting), task lighting, track lighting, pendant lights, chandeliers, island lighting, under-cabinet lighting, and more.
- In the bath....
LEDs come in an array of bases, offering versatility of use in overhead lighting, sconces, vanity light bars, and shower lighting.
Ceiling lights, wall sconces, reading lamps… even dimmable LED bulb options are available!
- Throughout your home...
Entryway and hall lighting, lighting in utility rooms and offices, ceiling fan bulb replacements, and night lights.
- Outside your home…
Wall and ceiling lights, security lights, porch and patio lighting, pool lighting, landscape and deck lighting, and more.
Ready to upgrade to more efficient, longer lasting LED lighting options? Mr. Electric® can help you find the perfect lighting solutions to meet your lighting and budget needs. Contact us today for a free consultation.