Gift-giving season is right around the corner! And like most parents, you’re probably wracking your brains for the ultimate present. Lucky for you, Mr. Electric has the perfect recommendation: electric cars for kids. Kids’ electric cars have been around for decades, and they’ve only been getting better! This gift combines the joy of gadgetry with the fun of exploration. If you remember the exhilaration of your first bike ride, you can imagine how much more fun a battery-powered mini-car will be for the child in your life.
Choosing a Kids’ Electric Car
Gone are the days where Power Wheels was the only provider of ride-on electric cars. Nowadays there is a diverse selection to choose from. Electric cars for kids come in a variety of models including tractors, race cars, police cars, and even luxury cars.
Electric Cars for Kids with Remote Controls
If your toddler is nuts about cars, start them off with toddler-safe electric car options! Look for ride-on electric cars with remote controls. These remote-controlled cars allow a supervising adult to safely steer your little gearhead around your driveway. Some models even come with a manual option for when your child is ready to steer on their own.
Overall, you should look for cars with lower speed capacities for toddlers or children under eight years old. The younger the child, the slower the vehicle should be. You can find electric cars for kids with maximum speeds ranging from 1 to 4 mph for this age group.
Electric Cars for Kids Ages 10 and Up
Once your child is about ten years old, they may be ready for more advanced electric car models. Look for electric cars with maximum speeds ranging from 5 to 10 mph. Your child might be interested in vehicles that can traverse rougher terrain, such as miniature dune buggies or four-wheelers.
Features for Your Kids’ Electric Car
Kids’ electric cars can be fun for parents too! Here are just a few of the features you can find in kids’ electric cars:
- Fully functional sound system to play your child’s favorite tunes
- Seatbelts to teach the child about car safety
- LED headlights
- Magnetic doors
- Forward and reverse gears
- Adjustable maximum speeds for beginners
- Extra rechargeable battery
Charging Your Kids’ Electric Car
If your family owns a real electric car that requires recharging, you may be wondering if you’ll need special equipment for your child’s electric car. Luckily, charging electric cars for kids is easy. Most cars will come with a charging cord that connects to any regular wall outlet, as well as a rechargeable battery. With sufficient charging, you can find models with up to several hours of driving time. Consider buying an extra battery and charging cord to enable longer play sessions.
Cost of Kids’ Electric Cars
You can expect to pay between $100 to $700 for a kids’ electric car. Prices ranges greatly depending on the type of vehicle and whether it comes from a luxury manufacturer.
Pros and Cons of Kids’ Electric Cars
As you can tell, there are as many types of ride-on electric cars as there are children who love them! If you are still trying to decide whether to purchase one, keep in mind the pros and cons of kids’ electric cars.
- There are few toys on the market that can be as fun as a kids’ electric car!
- Driving can teach your children basic steering and car safety skills from a young age.
- Electric kids’ cars encourage exploration and imaginative play.
- Some electric cars for kids require a little patience. Charging the battery takes a minimum of several hours. This can be solved – at least temporarily – by purchasing an extra battery.
- Luxury electric cars for kids can be fairly expensive.
- Electric cars for kids ages 10 and over may become dirty with use on more rugged terrain. Look over tips on cleaning outside toys safely from our fellow Neighborly company, Molly Maid.
Now that you know more about electric cars for kids, it’s time to shift into gift-giving gear!
Investing in some new gadgets this year? Plan out your electrical needs this holiday season by contacting Mr. Electric. Call (844) 866-1367 or make an appointment online today.