Electricians Who Install EV Chargers in Jacksonville, NC
Learn About Installing a Home EV Charger
Welcome to the world of electric vehicle (EV) ownership! Whether you’re buying your first EV or you’ve owned one for years, it’s important to understand your at-home charging options. Your experience as an EV owner will be greatly affected by the speed and efficiency of your home charger. Many of the most significant drawbacks to driving an EV, like charge time and limited driving range, can be managed effectively with a high-performance at-home charging station. Mr. Electric of Jacksonville, NC has electricians who install EV chargers in Jacksonville, North Carolina, and the surrounding areas. Learn more about our EV charger installation services.
Understanding Your Home EV Charger
When you purchased your electric vehicle, it may have come with a charger, but that may not be the quickest or most efficient way to refill the battery. If you want the best charging speed, you may need to install a high-quality home EV charger. If you are going to do this, it is best to work with a team of licensed electricians, like Mr. Electric of Jacksonville, NC. We can install a special 240-volt circuit with its own breaker to maximize the safety and performance of your charger.
The Three Levels of EV Chargers
There are many different types of EV chargers, from portable chargers to commercial charging banks. When you want to install a high-powered charging station in your home, the first step is to understand the three different levels of chargers. This will help you understand which will work best for your needs. Some owners are happy with a Level 1 charger if they don’t drive long distances and are not bothered by overnight charging. Most EV owners will eventually want to make the move to a Level 2 charger, though. The main difference between each type of EV charger includes the following:
- Level 1 Charger – Level 1 chargers are the most basic type available. They come with most EVs at the time of purchase. Level 1 chargers plug into any traditional three-pronged outlet. So, they have the benefit of flexibility and ease of use. However, they are the slowest way to charge your EV at home. A Level 1 charger can take over 20 hours to charge a battery completely.
- Level 2 Chargers – This is the perfect charger for most EV owners. It charges much faster than a Level 1 charger, usually filling a battery fully in as little as three hours. Installing a Level 2 charger requires professional expertise, though. A Level 2 charger needs its own dedicated 240-volt circuit, which involves wiring and possibly installing a new breaker.
- Level 3 Charger – You have likely seen Level 3 chargers at public charging stations. While these are super-fast chargers, able to add 160 miles of range in just 30 minutes, they are not available for residential properties.
What to Expect From EV Charger Installation
When Mr. Electric of Jacksonville, NC helps homeowners install a Level 2 charger, we are thorough and diligent. We take careful measures to ensure that the equipment is working at maximum efficiency while ensuring it is safely installed. When you work with us to install an at-home EV charger, you can expect the following:
- We completely inspect all equipment before starting the installation process.
- We inspect the installation site to ensure it meets the manufacturer’s specifications and requirements.
- We upgrade your electrical system with a new 40-amp, 240-volt circuit with 8-AWG wiring.
- We install EV equipment following all National Electrical Codes standards and local code requirements.
- We perform a start-up inspection to verify that all equipment is working correctly.
- We give you an overview of the equipment, explaining the proper usage, features, limitations, maintenance, and warranty terms.
Schedule an EV Charger Installation Appointment Today!
Mr. Electric of Jacksonville, NC is here to make your journey into the world of EV ownership as smooth and pleasant as possible. We have installed countless EV chargers in Jacksonville, Cape Carteret, and Morehead City. Our electricians will meet with you before the installation, answer your questions, and explain how the installation process will work. We have a firm commitment to upfront pricing, explaining the costs of your installation ahead of time. Schedule an appointment to install your EV charger now!