Electric Vehicle Charger Installation in Indianapolis & Fishers, IN
Learn About Installing Electric Car Chargers for Your Home
Owning an electric vehicle (EV) can be an exhilarating and rewarding experience. You get to live on the cutting edge of technology, insulate yourself from the rising prices of gas, and reduce your carbon footprint all at the same time. Your experience as an EV owner will be greatly affected by your at-home charging options. Slow charging speeds can make you feel tethered to the wall, but a high-performance home charging station can give you the freedom to enjoy your EV without worrying about the drawbacks. To install a high-speed at-home EV charging station, you will need the help of expert electricians. Mr. Electric of Fishers offers EV charger installation services in in Indianapolis, Fishers and surrounding areas.
The Three Types of EV Chargers
When you start looking into improving your at-home charging options, one of the first things you are likely to come across is the different types of EV chargers. There are three categories of chargers: Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3. As an EV owner, it’s helpful to understand the differences between each type of charger. When choosing the right charger for your home, you should consider the following:
- Level 1 Charger – Nearly all-electric vehicles will come with a Level 1 charger. These chargers will plug into your standard electrical outlet, making them the most flexible and easiest to use. They require no installation, but their charge speed probably won’t impress you very much. A Level 1 Charger takes over 20 hours to charge an empty battery. This leaves most EV owners wanting something better.
- Level 2 Charger – A Level 2 charger is the fastest at-home charger available, capable of fully charging a dead battery in about three hours. To provide such high speeds, Level 2 EV car chargers require a dedicated 240-volt circuit. To perform that installation, you will need the help of a professional electrician who can perform wiring and circuit installation.
- Level 3 Charger – Level 3 chargers are not suited for home installation. These charging stations are found at commercial properties, such as public charging banks. They are the most powerful EV chargers, capable of adding 160 miles of driving range in just 30 minutes.
Which Charger Is Right for You?
Once you understand the difference between each type of EVSE charger, choosing the right charger for your home becomes pretty easy. Most EV owners want a Level 2 charger. If you only drive short distances and don’t mind overnight charging, you might be able to make do with a Level 1 charger. However, drivers who plan to own an EV for the foreseeable future will eventually want to upgrade to a faster Level 2 charger.
What Does EV Charger Installation Include?
Mr. Electric of Fishers performs thorough and detailed EVSE installation services. As trained electricians, we take great care to ensure that your equipment is installed safely and working efficiently. After the installation, we inspect everything to ensure it is working properly. Our team even shows you how to operate and maintain the charger properly. Some of the other things you can expect when we install an electric car charger for your home include the following:
- We completely inspect the equipment before the installation.
- We check your site to be sure that all equipment can be installed according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
- We upgrade your electrical system with a 40-amp, 240-volt circuit with 8-AWG wiring.
- We follow the safety standards of the National Electrical Code, local permits, and code requirements.
- We perform a start-up inspection to make sure all equipment is working properly.
- We give you an overview to explain the charger’s features, limitations, maintenance, usage, and warranty terms.
Schedule an EV Charger Installation Appointment Today!
At Mr. Electric of Fishers, we love working with EV owners all throughout the Indianapolis area. Our team of electricians has earned a reputation for friendly service and trustworthy craftsmanship. We have done that by offering honest assessments, upfront pricing, and convenient appointment times. Schedule your EV charger installation appointment now!